Monday, September 10, 2012

Kelly's Hearty Kraut Burgers


Guest Post from Kelly!

Today I am happy to share with you my sister, Kelly. She has been making great meals since she was a teenager. Today she is going to share one of her recipes that she has added her personal twist. I can tell you, "It Rocks!" ..  Kelly's Hearty Kraut Burgers! 

 Kelly will be taking the role of guest blog author today! 
Thank you, Kelly!

Hi everyone! I enjoy creating fun dishes that I love to share with family and friends. I also, live a very busy life and love to take short cuts when I can. You will find a few in this recipe that are great time savers.

After trying other versions of Kraut Burgers, I decided it was time to create a burger that was to my own tastes and improve upon what I found out there. This is the first time I tried this recipe. I will admit adding the potatoes were my idea to make it heartier.

I also used the red cabbage because that is what we like. I didn't get it cut small enough before cooking so had to cut it down a little after it cooked. The cooked red cabbage is very prominent in the meat mixture. We liked it better because it is a sweeter taste.

I also added the dill pickle juice and mustard because I don't enjoy the fairly bland flavor of the typical kraut burgers that I have tried. I love the flavor of dill pickles and mustard in rouladen, so this is where I got my flavor inspiration.


 Kelly's Hearty Kraut Burgers
  • 12 frozen yeast dinner rolls (I used Rhodes brand)
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 medium onion halved and sliced thin
  • 1/2 head cabbage, sliced thin*
  • 1 can diced potatoes or about 1 1/2 c. fresh potatoes, diced small
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • 1/2 cup dill pickle juice

Let dough thaw and rise.

Preheat oven to *350 F

Brown beef, drain and add onions and dash of salt and pepper. Let onions cook until translucent. 
Add sliced cabbage, and pickle juice, cook until cabbage is tender. (*note.. Make sure cabbage is cut small enough to not be "BIG" bites) 
Add potatoes and mustard. Lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.


 Let filling cool and transfer to bowl to cool in refrigerator until able to handle.
Place dough on floured board and roll out to 6" circles. Can also be stretched like pizza dough. 
Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in the center of the circle.


Bring edges to close at top, pinch edges together. 


Place gathered side down on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes. 

Can be served with a spicy mustard or brown gravy. 

To make ahead, wrap baked burgers in plastic and refrigerate, they can be microwaved 45 seconds for an awesome meal.

I hope you enjoy making and serving these pretty baked burgers as much as I do!

Enjoy,

Kelly
 Linking with:

22 comments:

  1. What a fun recipe....they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to meet you, Kelly. Thanks for sharing this neat recipe. Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that recipe makes this German girl's mouth water!!! thanks for sharing, kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet Kelly!! Love recipe sounds delicious!! A must try!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful Sister you have... sounds like yummy recipes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sisterly love!! I think I'll give this yummy a try xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were so yummy, we have been thinking about variations. Next time might be green chili burgers. We just peeled a bushel of Pueblo chili and might make a new burger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe Kelly! It sounds so good! We have more peppers growing than we know what to do with, so if you come up with that new burger, let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job Kelly, that looks great, I love that they are all wrapped up in a pretty dough pouch! I can see a lot of variations are possible, thank you!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Kelly's burgers look yummy. I'm so happy you stopped by. I'm now you newest 'Friend'. Now that we know where
    we are in Bloglandia let's not be strangers. You'll find yourself on my Blog List

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun idea for the burgers to cook the bun with dinner rolls. My kids would love this! Thanks for stopping by.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I just realized I didn't answer your question. No I don't crochet or knit or quilt or counted x-stitch. I don't have the patience. As far as vintage...I try to save old textiles. I Renew, Redo, and Recreate to make a treasure forever. This crocheted apron was found in a bag with other textiles to be pitched. It had some damage that I was able to 'redo'. I take aprons like that, tablecloths, dish and teatowels, doilies, oh just any vintage textile from the 1930's-70's that have wear to them and use them. I even gather dolls from the 30's-60's
    ...especially ones from the 30's and 40's... to give the old girls makeovers. I love the vintage hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My Gosh my family will LOVE these! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice post thanks for sharing ...looking for to visit more...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! These sound so good! I'm writing it down right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm, I bet this would be good just as a casserole with the rolls on the side! Because anything using a rolling pin in my house usually lands on the floor...

    ReplyDelete
  17. very interesting! =)
    I hope you could visit my blog too and follow ☺

    xoxo,
    http://raellarina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello dear, how long!
    I just came to leave a hug and say I miss.
    Have a blessed weekend.
    Luciana

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look very interesting. I may have to give them a try.
    blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh boy purple cabbage sounds like I am going to have to try this. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kelly, I love kraut but have never had a kraut burger. Sounds very tasty. Thanks so much for sharing. Sure hope Susie is doing better!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment. All you need is OpenID or to sign into your Google account and you can! Thank you!

Valentine Swap 2017

 Don't you think Valentine swaps are fun? I sure do. Vivian had a nice big swap year That I signed up for and my partner was Cindy fro...